Tuesday 19 July 2011

The diary entry (London)

Dr. Paul Mulligan Thompson, my supervisor on the Chinese computer research projects[1] at SOAS, came into my office one day with an embarrassed look on his face.  “How do I tell people I have a new PhD student called Randy* and keep a straight face?”

As his calls were re-routed to me if he wasn’t in his office, I’d take messages and agree to tentative appointments on his behalf, then check them against his diary.  One day, we were doing this when he opened his diary, and there was an entry for Monday that said, in his handwriting, “Randy* at 10am.”

(London 1988)

*Those who don't understand the meaning of the British usage of the word "randy", please look up a dictionary, as I'm a bit embarrassed to gloss it.





[1] See my other entry Process aborted.

No comments:

Post a Comment