Tuesday 23 February 2021

The brain works in wondrous ways: 04 (Victor the Gambian) (London)

One of my students on the evening programme was a Gambian (also with a husky voice, like Joseph) called Victor.  


He’s featured in blog Stereo-typing: 3 (https://piccola-chinita.blogspot.com/2019/02/stereo-typing-3-london.html).


Fast forward some 15(?) years.


I was visiting a friend whose family runs the Oriental bookshop (here Orient = Near, Middle, and Far East) diagonally opposite the British Museum.


The book shop has three sections: the main front section, a middle section, and a back section, all with book shelves.  The back section also functioned as their office (for admin work, processing overseas orders, etc.).


It was while I was in this back room that I heard a husky voice in the front room.  My brain immediately went, “Victor!”


And it was Victor, indeed.


(London, early 2000s?)

No comments:

Post a Comment