Friday 19 February 2021

Spontaneous fun with words: 04 (London)

A student who had discontinued his lessons for a few years because of a very busy schedule (refresher professional exams, second baby, house move, just to name three) has found a bit of a respite for the next three months.  

He texted to say he’d like to be given some exercises in Chinese to do, so I set up a WhatsApp group-share slot for this, naming it “Chinese exercises”.


Half a day later, it occurred to me that I need to distinguish this one from two others I’ve set up, separately, for two students (for their listening comprehension), so I went in and added his name to it, so it comes out as “Chinese exercises Morley”.


As I was saving and quitting, this suddenly flashed up on my brain screen:


“Chinese exercises Morley but he’s not exercised by it.”


So true.


Haha.


My MacBook Pro dictionary says:

exercise:  worry or perplex (Macdougall was greatly exercised about the exchange rate.)


(London, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment