Tuesday 23 February 2021

The brain works in wondrous ways: 02 (Chris the ex-student) (Kingston, London)

Chris Welch, a student on the evening programme (therefore mature), threw a party with a theme: guests were to come masked, in the spirit of Venice’s masked balls.

Hilary improvised by using an eye mask given out on long haul flights for sleeping: she cut out holes for the eyes, sewed some decoration on the edges (a pearl, I remember), and voilà, a masquerade ball mask was born!


Not being creative, and not particularly liking fuss, lazy me just put on the Peruvian balaclava I’d bought in an open market in Cusco.  So, I turned up at the party with my whole head totally shrouded, even my long black hair which would’ve given me away immediately.


As soon as we arrived, I said hello to the host through the balaclava.  Another student, also a Chris in the same class as the host Chris, turned round, saying, “I know that voice!”


(Kingston, London, 1996[?] / 1997[?])

No comments:

Post a Comment