Wednesday 28 February 2018

Sanity-challenging conversations: 2 (London)



Mrs Ting (88 years old), whom I hadn’t seen for four years, suddenly rang me on Saturday to wish me a Happy Chinese New Year, then proceeded to tell me she’d been in pain from her crooked back and the resultant imbalance of body weight placed on her legs.  I immediately said I’d go the following Wednesday and give her a massage, and cook lunch for her.

I’d met Mrs Ting about six years ago, through a Malaysian woman, Mei Ling, who lives down the road from her.  I’d been giving Mei Ling back massages on and off, as well as doing her gardening — all for free.  Mei Ling then asked if I could do Mrs Ting’s bad back as well.

As I was preparing lunch for Mrs Ting, she asked if she could tell Mei Ling that I was visiting her.  This is the exchange:

Me:  Why not?
Mrs Ting:  I wasn't sure if I should.
Me:  Why do you feel you shouldn’t tell Mei Ling?  What’s wrong with my visiting you?
Mrs Ting:  I don’t know if it’ll be right to tell her.
Me:  Why should you think it might not be right to tell her?
Mrs Ting:  I don’t know if I should tell her, that’s why I’m asking you.
Me:  Yes, you’ve already said that bit.  What I’m asking is the “why”: why should you worry about telling her?
Mrs Ting:  That’s why I’m asking you if it’ll be all right.
Me:  I’ve understood that bit.  I just want to know why you should think it might not be right to tell her, that’s all.
Mrs Ting:  I don’t know if it’ll be right to, so I thought I should ask you first.

At that point, I just gave up.

PS: “Mrs Ting” and “Mei Ling” are not their real names.

(London, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment