Thursday 15 February 2018

Marital bliss: 4 (London)


One day, I ran into Roy, someone who was on a different course at SOAS when I was there in the late 70s.  After reminiscing about the good old days, I asked about his ex-classmate and ex-flatmate, Mark.  Roy said Mark was now on his second wife, from China, who was very strict about Mark going anywhere.  I decided not to email Mark to say hello, so as not to get him into any trouble.

Fast forward another six or seven years.  Chris, who knew Roy and Mark, organised a get-together, so I saw Mark for the first time since 1983.  After the meal, Mark said we should get together again, adding, “Use my mobile number.  Don’t email me.”  He then muttered, “Some people just have no respect for other people’s privacy.”

*Roy and Mark: not their real names.


(London, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment