Sunday 30 October 2011

Trick or treat? (France)

Colette’s seven-year-old nephew Yann sat there at the table with two-thirds of his lunch untouched.  I pointed out that he was wasting food — to no avail.  

Then I remembered that we’d played marbles before lunch and had had lots of laughs, so I asked him if he’d like to play more marbles after lunch.  He nodded eagerly, eyes lighting up.  I said, “Well, you’ll need to eat up your lunch first.”  The next thing was he’d finished his food with gusto.  

Trouble was: I then forgot about the marbles.  

So what was meant to be “treat” turned out to be “trick”!  

It worked though.
(France, September 2011)

See also:  https://piccola-chinita.blogspot.com/2022/08/how-to-get-children-to-eat-their-food.html

2 comments:

  1. tsk tsk...tricking a 7 year old like that...shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Luckily his English is pretty non-existent at the moment, so he won't be reading this blog for a while yet, which means I could perhaps try the same trick again...

    ReplyDelete