Friday 21 October 2011

Matter over mind in reverse? (France)

About twelve days before my departure on 03 October, Serge and Jeanette started discussing at the dinner table locking up the dogsand further away from the farm house as wellin readiness for the arrival of old friends Simon and Mauricette, so that they (Simon and Mauricette, not the dogs) wouldn't be disturbed by the nocturnal growling (from the dogs, not Simon and Mauricette).  I chipped in with, "But if they're locked up, they'll be barking, which will still disturb Simon and Mauricette."  Serge immediately commented that my French was now good enough for me to understand things and to communicate my opinions as well.  (Between you and me, he didn't notice that a lot of what I said was pidgin French and gesturing / miming.  He understood my message, so he took it to be French...)  (See the other, related blog entry: Matter over mind)

(France, September 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment