Saturday 16 July 2011

Signs in Italian (Italy)


Throughout the three days in Rome, we had noticed a recurring road sign with two words on it and an arrow pointing in a particular direction.  We thought, “Hmm, that must be a really famous place because there are signs everywhere telling people how to get there.”  The two words, we later discovered in a dictionary, were “senso unico” [one way].

After Rome, I was going up to Venice by train, so off I went to the terminus to get my ticket.  The night before, I’d scoured the map for places near Florence that I could visit, as I was going there after Venice.  A name attracted my attention: Chiaso (or something like that), because it looks like a Chinese surname (Chia). 

The Rome terminus is massive, with lots of windows.  There was one with “Venezia”, one with “Firenze”, and three with another name I didn’t quite recognise.  I thought, “Oh, only one window each for the world-famous places like Venice and Florence, but THREE for this place, so it must be really popular with the locals.  Maybe I can drop in.” 

I couldn’t find it in the map, then a little light bulb in my head told me to look in my dictionary.  The word was CHIUSO, which means “closed” in Italian.

(Italy, 1981)

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to think that inportant places are "closed".

    ReplyDelete