Monday 1 January 2024

Being spied on

 

After the first popping up in the Chinese crossword puzzle game of a saying used in my lesson with the Shanghai-based student, two more sayings I’d fed the student in two subsequent lessons did the same thing.  They were not very common ones either, so it wouldn’t be a coincidence.

    An old friend has just told me that someone he knows had a private conversation with his wife (wife of the person my old friend knows) over dinner, away from all computers, about buying something.  Up popped that item later on the telly, so Alexa was listening.

    This reminds me of a joke in a Taiwanese magazine in the 80s that I was dipping into for teaching and exam-question material.

    The joke was set in the USSR.  A man turned on the TV.  Being aired was a political broadcast, so he switched to another channel.  Same thing, so he moved to a third channel.  The political broadcast again, so he changed to a fourth.  A big burly man appeared on the screen and said, “If you do that again, we’ll send you to the Gulag [labour camp].”


No comments:

Post a Comment