Friday 29 September 2023

Chinese sayings: 13 (幸災樂禍 / 幸灾乐祸)

 

幸災樂禍

xìng zāi lè huò

“rejoice disaster happy disaster”


Another obvious one: to rejoice and be happy about disaster.  

    The (commonly but not exclusively) four-character format of Chinese sayings means that there’s no room to specify whose disaster it is one is rejoicing in.  As usual with the Chinese language, there's a lot of logical deduction expected (what I call the “You know what I mean” element).  This is why I keep telling my students: “You won’t get Alzheimer’s learning Chinese.”

    Only the German language, as far as I know, has an equivalent for it: Schadenfreude.  

    Now, what does that say about the two cultures if they have a word/saying for taking joy in other people’s suffering, I ask you?

No comments:

Post a Comment