Saturday 22 July 2023

Word play (London)

A married professor at an educational institution I’d worked at in the 80s had caused a huge scandal, culminating in a scene in the reception area with one of the women pulling off the other’s skirt.  

My supervisor and I had somehow got embroiled: he’d kindly listened to the other woman’s sob stories about the professor when she’d turned up looking for him in person but couldn’t find him; I’d taken a phone call on my supervisor’s behalf one day when he was out, and had listened sympathetically to her sob stories (complete with sound effects).  Anyway, so that’s how I got to know the details.

One day, the professor and I were at the bank — he two places in front of me, with an American woman between us.  


Trying to check if that was the queue, the American woman asked him, “Are you in line?”  (She didn’t say “the”.)  


The professor said to her, “Oh yes, Madam, very much so.”


And I immediately thought, “Really?!  That’s not what I’ve heard.”


(London, 1987?)


No comments:

Post a Comment