Monday 30 January 2023

Pre-death hallucinations (Singapore)

Reading up on terminal lucidity after writing the previous blog (of the same name), I come across this:

Quote Visual or auditory hallucinations are often part of the dying experience. The appearance of family members or loved ones who have died is common. These visions are considered normal. The dying may turn their focus to “another world” and talk to people or see things that others do not see. Unquote


My mother had a hip fracture in 2015.  Sat down too hard on the sofa — probably misjudged the distance, and broke her hip.  I was going to fly out to see her but then had a bad fall myself, breaking two fingers, so the trip had to be postponed.  In January 2016, I was told to make my way over as soon as possible, as she didn’t seem likely to last long.  The doctor had been asked to give her an injection to keep her going until three of her five children could get back from abroad.  After the second jab, the doctor said it wouldn’t be kind to keep giving her injections just to prolong her life.


During my time there, my mother’s Indonesian maid told this story of her last days.


My mother was in a ward with six or eight beds, but she was the only occupant at the time.  The maid Yanti was with her.  My mother suddenly said to Yanti, in Malay, “Banyak orang (Lots of people).”  Yanti looked around behind her.  Empty ward.  Yanti said, “Tak ada orang (Not have people).”  My mother insisted, “Banyak orang,” adding, “Satu perempuan (One woman).”


My mother’s sister died in 1988, her mother in 1989, so that lone woman could have been one of them.


I’ve heard stories about beings from the other world coming over to guide the newly departed soul to the other side.


(Singapore, 2016)


No comments:

Post a Comment