Monday 3 October 2022

Quick identification (London)

There’re so many similar looking/colour suitcases around in the market that some people tie something like a small strip of ribbon/cloth to theirs for easy identification when at the carousel claiming their luggage at the destination.  This was the tip given by my aunt when I took my first flight out of Singapore as a teenager.

The syntax module of my MA Linguistics course at SOAS had 120 (150?) students, with the different colleges (SOAS, UCL, Birkbeck) pooling their students.  

The professor would set homework each week.  He’d then put the stack of 120 (150?) pieces of marked homework on the corner of his desk, for us to go up and retrieve at the end of the lecture.

A long queue would build up as each student took ages going through the pile.  A4 sheets of paper all look the same.

After the first time, I came up with a fast way.  I snipped off the corner of an envelope that is not white (often brown, sometimes electric blue or red if it was for a special card), slotted it into the top right hand corner of my A4 sheet of homework, and stapled it.

It’d take a second to retrieve, as I could see it from miles away and just pull it out of the pile.

(London, 1992)

No comments:

Post a Comment