Friday 12 August 2022

Even the dog has to do it (Singapore)

A very sharp-eyed PhD student from China made the observation that I always eat my food in such a way that leaves the plate totally clean.

This brings to mind what I used to do with my pet dog, Bear Bear.


In our family (not sure if other Chinese families do the same thing), we’d feed our dog and cat rice and some fish/meat and veg.  Not really a deliberate choice: there was no commercial dog food in those days; the (southern) Chinese diet is practically always rice-based, so the family pets got what the rest of the family ate.


I’d stand by my dog Bear Bear and make sure he finished all his food.  I’d point out the grains he’d not picked up, “Here, you missed this one,” and he’d eat it.  I’d then point out another one, “There, you missed that one,” and he’d eat it — every single one until the dish was completely empty.  Such a compliant dog, putting up with me and my fussiness!


(London, 2022 / Singapore, 1960s–70s)


No comments:

Post a Comment