Saturday 17 November 2018

Sanity-challenging conversations: 10 (London)



Six customers, who’ve been coming now and again, turned up tonight: three are the social workers for the other three.  The female social worker said, as I walked past their table, “Can you take orders for our food.”  It was not a question  she was asking me to take their food orders.  I said, “I’m afraid you’ll have to go to the bar, or order through the app on your phone.  I don't take orders for food.”  She said, “Oh no, I don’t do the phone app thing.”  I said, “Then you’ll have to do it at the bar.  I only deliver food, we don’t take orders at the table.”  She said, “I know.”  Huh?!?

I delivered two dishes to Table 43.  The five occupants said, no, not for them.  The elderly couple next to them said it was for them.  As I put the dishes down, I said, “You’re Table 44, not 43.”  The man said, “No, it’s 43.”  I said, “It’s 44.  Have a look at the disc at the corner of the table.”  He said, “It’s 43.”  I pointed at the disc, he moved his face closer, and said, “It’s 43.”  His wife shook her head.  When I next went back to that area, the man said, “It looks like 77!”  I was quite tempted to say he should get his eyes tested.


Update a week later (241118):  Can you believe it!?!  Customer at Table 77 tonight said the food wasn’t for him.  Eventually tracked down the rightful owner — at Table 44.  He’s a man about 30 years younger than the elderly gentleman above.  Maybe the elderly gentleman from last week sent him to shore up his case?

(London, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment