Saturday 2 June 2018

How to have fun on your pub shift as a menial worker (London)


Tables got moved / put back in the wrong places, so I ended up going to where they were meant to be but couldn't find them and had to ask aloud, “Table 23?” while carrying the heavy and hot plates of food.  One of the two customers at Table 82 in the middle row said, “You've asked me that more than once now. Why don't you just check your map?”  I said I did, but the table was not where it was meant to be, asking, “Am I annoying you?”  He said yes, so I said I'd complain to the manager (about me annoying him). 

Went and told the shift manager about him, then went back and told him, “I've just complained to the manager about me.”  He didn't know what to say. 

I went away from his table smiling, instead of getting stressed out by him and his lack of sympathy for what we have to go through in carrying out our duties.

(London, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment