Thursday 22 March 2018

Sanity-challenging conversations: 7 (London)



A visitor arrived from Beijing to see her daughter, and wanted me to go shopping with her.  On the bus on the way back to her daughter’s flat, she took out a bag of small packets of processed fish — like tinned fish but in packets instead, opened one small packet and started to eat the contents.  

She took out another packet and offered it to me.  This is the conversation that ensued.

She: This is absolutely delicious.  Have some [now].  

Me: Thank you, but I won’t eat it just yet, because I’m teaching in two hours’ time and the student hates fish.

She: It’s really yummy.  Try it.

Me: Thanks, I’ll do that tomorrow when I’m not teaching.  I’m sure it’s delicious.

She: Try it, it’s so tasty, have some [now].

Me: I’m sure it is, but like I said, the student I’m teaching later hates fish, so I don’t want to be breathing fish-breath at him during the lesson.  I will try it at the weekend.

She: It’s really nice.  Have some [now].

(London, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment