Tuesday 30 May 2017

Chinese puns: May Yong (London)


The Chinese love taking advantage of the homophonic system to do puns, to have a laugh at the expense of the unsuspecting "victim".

I used to have a Malaysian woman in my evening class, by the name of May, who had married a Mr Yong, so she went by her married name.  

For years, I called her May Yong, May Yong, before I suddenly realised one day it sounds just like 没用 méi yòng (shortened from 没有用 méiyǒu yòng / "not have use" = useless).  I emailed her about this, and we had a good giggle over it.  

After that, I'd call her 有用 (yǒu yòng / "have use" = useful) in class, which became a private joke between us.


(London, 2000)

1 comment:

  1. Funny! Helpful to know that these shortenings of sentence structure exist. Another lifetime of 'trying to understand'! Lol

    I will be that victim of language play many times, over and over methinks!

    ReplyDelete