Friday 7 February 2014

Double standards 01 (Taiwan)


When I was working with Conoco Taiwan 1975-76, we’d have visiting geologists and geophysicists from other offices.  The usual practice in those days, in Taiwan and Singapore, was to ring up the airline company and ask if (a) the flight in question was on time; (b) the passenger had actually got on.  This was to save us a wasted trip to the airport in case the flight was delayed or the passenger had missed it.

For one such phone call, I decided to use Mandarin out of courtesy to the host country, since Mandarin was their working language, even though the default language in Singapore tended to be English for official phone calls.

This was what took place between me and the staff member at Northwest Orient, with the conversation conducted in Mandarin:

NWO:  (In Mandarin) Northwest Orient.

Me:  (In Mandarin) Hello.  I’d like to know if Flight 123 from San Francisco, due to land at 10.30am today, will be arriving on time.

NWO:  (Brusquely, in Mandarin) Wait a minute.  (Receiver clattered loudly onto the table as she went to check.)  Yes, it is.  (CLICK -- she hung up before I could ask my next question.)

I had to re-dial the number.

Me:  (In Mandarin) I’m ringing up about your Flight 123 from San Francisco which is landing at 10.30am today.  Can you please check your passenger list to see if Mr John Smith is on that flight.

NWO:  (Brusquely, in Mandarin) Wait a minute.  (Receiver clattered loudly onto the table as she went to check.)  Yes, he is.  (CLICK -- she hung up.)

A few weeks later, another visitor was coming over from our head office.  This time, I decided to speak in English.

Me:  (In English) Hello.  I’d like to know if Flight 456 from San Francisco, due to land at 2.30pm today, will be arriving on time.

NWO:  (Politely in English)  Just a moment, please, Ma’am.  (The receiver was placed gently down onto the table as she went to check.  Then, very politely) Sorry to keep you waiting, Ma’am.  Yes, Flight 456 from San Francisco is landing on time at 2.30pm.  (Here, I was expecting her to hang up.)  Is there anything else, Ma’am?

Me:  (I was so surprised I nearly dropped my telephone.  In English, and in shock)  Oh yes, yes.  Can you check the passenger list and see if Mr Robert Jones is on that flight.

NWO:  (In English, politely)  Just a moment, please, Ma’am. (The receiver was placed gently down onto the table as she went to check.  I then heard her say to her colleague in Mandarin) 死*美国人,问东问西的! / “dead American, ask east ask west case-of” / Goddamned American, all these questions
(Politely in English)  Sorry to keep you waiting, Ma’am.  Yes, Mr Robert Jones is on the flight.  Is there anything else, Ma’am?

So, when I used Mandarin for my first call, she thought I was one of them, and treated me with brusqueness and rudeness.  When I used English for my second call, she thought I was American, and treated me with courtesy, even if only superficial.  Whilst there are undoubtedly nice people out there as well, this is unfortunately something I’ve encountered regularly throughout all the Chinese-speaking countries and even as recently as 2011.


(*死 sǐ / “to die” is used in Chinese as a noun-prefix for expressing extreme odium towards something/someone, when berating or cursing someone.)


(Taiwan, 1975)

No comments:

Post a Comment