Friday 11 January 2013

Senior moments (Singapore)



My friend Valerio’s most recent email says: “Three days ago I really wanted to write some thoughts, and I am not even sure I still remember them all. But it had to do with my growing inability to keep track of my schedule. For some reason I associated it with the prosopagnosia at the time but I can no longer remember the reasoning.” 

This brings to mind my visit home in 1999.  

One evening, a group of us were sitting down chatting about various things, and somehow got round to the subject of forgetting things in the morning.  

I said my solution was to fetch the said item the very moment the thought occurred to me and put it just inside the front door, so that I would see it when leaving the flat the next day.  

My sister-in-law’s sister, Susan, said she’d tried that, too, but in her case, she’d find the item in the morning, think to herself, “Which stupid idiot has left this thing here, blocking the way?!?” and kick it out of the way.  Halfway to her office, she’d then remember what the said item was doing sitting by the front door.

(Singapore, 1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment