Wednesday 21 November 2012

A helpful word of advice (Bangkok, Thailand)


My Cambodian friend’s father was a rich and successful businessman who was well-known in Cambodia during his time.  

One day back in the late 60s or early 70s, he was waiting in the departure lounge at the airport in Bangkok for a flight back to Cambodia when another passenger, also Cambodian Teochew, struck up a conversation with him.  He asked my friend’s father if he was Cambodian, to which came the answer “yes”.  

After a bit of small talk to break the ice, during which they’d got on well conversationally, the man then asked my friend’s father if he’d heard of the very rich and successful Cambodian businessman called So-and-So, which was my friend’s father himself.  My friend’s father replied with a simple “yes”, not wanting to identify himself out of modesty.  

The fellow Cambodian then said, “Well, let me give you a word of advice:  don’t ever do business with this man!  He’s absolutely ruthless and heartless! (無情無義! 无情无义! / wú qíng wú yì)”


No comments:

Post a Comment