Friday, 9 October 2026

Dysfunctional communications: 03 (Why have we been pitched to the front of the queue?)


Dysfunctional:

Quote

In psychology and interpersonal relationships, it specifically refers to a flawed communication pattern that fails to convey information effectively and instead triggers misunderstandings, conflicts, alienation, or psychological harm. This type of communication commonly occurs within dysfunctional families, romantic relationships, or workplace teams.

Unquote


One of the soup kitchen places is run by Mother Teresa nuns who try to get people to attend the pre-dinner service.  Not obligatory, one can still be let in for the meal next door.

    The first time I attended the service, we were led out of the chapel at the end and taken to the front of the queue standing outside the gate.

    I asked aloud of those people who'd attended the service, "Why are we standing at the front of the queue?  Might we not be suspected of queue-jumping?"  (Because things can get ugly.)

    Hong Kong soup kitchen veteran said, "You'll be taken through the gate, then into the canteen for the meal."

    Huh??!!

    I said, "That wasn't what I was asking about.  I was asking why we've been pitched to the front of the queue when these people have already been in the queue.  I don't want them to think we're jumping the queue."

    The soup kitchen veteran said, "The nuns will come and open the gate, they will lead us into the canteen, where we will sit down for the meal."

    Huh??!?!!???  (How do people use their ears???)

    I said, "That wasn't what I was asking."

    The soup kitchen veteran then said, "OK, I'LL SHUT UP THEN!"

    Well, it'll certainly be less perplexing than giving a non sequitur response.

(London, 2026)

No comments:

Post a Comment