Sunday 8 October 2023

Goo goo ga ga: 02 (London)

 

I help out on a huge allotment site in east London, mainly weeding and watering the plants.  

    It has about 300 plots.

    The couple I help are Portuguese and Brazilian, with the Brazilian managing simple English.  We’ve resorted to google translate on our phones.

    One day, one of their allotment neighbours, a Turkish lady, came to pick the tomatoes and chillis that are on offer as the couple plant more than they can consume.  They do the work as a form of relaxation, they say.

    I found myself struggling to understand the Turkish lady as well, yet she (60) and the Brazilian lady (early 50s) were chatting away merrily while they were picking the crop.  I couldn’t understand a word of what they were saying.  

    Later, I asked the Brazilian lady if the Turkish lady could speak Portuguese (more likely than a Brazilian knowing Turkish).  She said, “No!  We were speaking English!”

 

(London, 2023)

No comments:

Post a Comment