Sunday 18 September 2022

Giving people a chance to give too (London)


Whenever I went away on holiday, I’d bring back something for then-landlord and landlady, Fred and Nora:  chocolate from Switzerland, caviar from Sweden.

One day, Nora gave me a little bottle of red wine that she’d got free on her flight back from their timeshare in Portugal.  

In my typical-Chinese-politeness way, I immediately protested, “Oh no, keep it for yourself!”

She said, “YOU are always giving people things.  You must let people have a chance to give you something sometimes.”  Yes, indeed. 

Since then, I’d relate this story to people, especially when I’m giving them a free massage, and say,  “Thank you for accepting my massage and making me feel useful.”

(London, 1980s onwards)

No comments:

Post a Comment