Saturday 3 September 2022

Banana skin: 02 (London)

The ping pong players at the Chinese community centre bring in a lot of food to share: fruit, biscuits, cake.  The kitchen downstairs gives them the unfinished soup from lunch.

One day, one of the players was eating a banana when I said, “Don’t throw the skin away, give it to me.”  

He asked why, so I told him the story about the time I asked my full-time BA students at the university for their banana skin.  Up shot their eyebrows: "Why do you want the skin?"  I said: “The university pays me too little.”

Since then, it’s become a joke between me and this particular ping pong player: he gets to eat the flesh, I get the skin.  He’d wish me each time he gave me his skin: “Enjoy your dinner!”

(London, 2008 & 2022)

No comments:

Post a Comment