Saturday 16 October 2021

Students' witticism: 02 (London)

It’s such fun teaching older mature students, I find.  They have the life experience and assertiveness that comes with age to engage in on-the-spot repartee.

(I say “older mature students”, because a student in her 70s said to me yesterday that anyone over the age of 21 is “mature”.)


One student (in his 70s?) is often late for his lessons.  (No criticism, just an observation.  I’m just pleased and touched that they come to class at all, especially when they’re in their 70s and live a long way away.)  


This gives the whole class the opportunity to ask him one of the Functional/Survival phrases I’ve taught them: “你說什麼 / 你说什么 / nǐ shuō shénme / “you say what” = What do you say?” — something they take great delight in doing.  (Yes, it’s a wicked-humour class, this lot.)  


The answer is another Functional/Survival phrase I’ve taught them: 對不起,我來晚了 / 对不起,我来晚了 / duìbùqǐ, wǒ lái-wǎn le / Sorry I’m late.


On-site students pay at the door.


This student was late again for last Thursday’s lesson.  As he was paying in the reception area (next to my classroom), I went out and said to the person processing his payment: “Don’t let him in until he’s paid!”  (I only dare do this with students who are “safe”, i.e., they know my sense of humour.)


When he came in a minute later, I said, “Have you paid?”


His reply: “No need.  Personality is enough!”


PS:  Yes, it was a lady processing his payment.


(London, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment