Tuesday 5 October 2021

Unconscious trend-following? (London)

Summer last year, I picked up a pair of ankle boots that were thrown out (left outside a house, on the pavement, which is what people do these days with things they’re happy for people to take — something the Swiss in Zürich were already doing back in 1987).  

I was going to see if Sienna, the girl I’ve been delivering to, and collecting from, school (along with her younger brother), would like them.  However, at age 10, her feet are already a little too big for the size 3 boots, so I thought I’d take them to the charity shop.


Then, it rained one day, so I wore them on the school run, as they’re waterproof.  (I have to wear two pairs of socks to stop my feet from sliding around inside…)


It was raining this morning, so I donned them again for the school run.  On the way to Sienna’s house, I suddenly noticed that her area’s council (= local government) rubbish bins are exactly the same shade of purple as my ankle boots.  For the rest of the journey to school, I started to spot more council rubbish bins with that shade of purple.


I’ve never been one to follow trends, hating to join the crowd.  (I used to sport a topknot, but when it became trendy some 15 years ago, I stopped doing it altogether.  Wouldn’t be seen following everyone.) But now, with these purple boots, it looks like I’m being trendy — joining the ranks of the council’s rubbish bins!


(London, 2021)



2 comments:

  1. I am curious about the topknot. For some reason I cannot picture you wearing it. How old were you? Also, I didn't know it was ever trendy, was that in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say "picture" -- I do have a photo or 2 of me sporting a topknot. I was wearing one most often during my BA years at SOAS (late 70s to 1981). It got trendy here in the UK (can't speak for other countries) about 10 years ago, I think, when suddenly everyone (women), it seems, was wearing one. When the men started doing it, I thought they might've been copying the old Japanese style (the samurais). Some women here will do a rough version of it, so desperate are they to be in with the crowd -- not a proper knot as such, just like a pony tail bunched up or fanned out to bulk out the hair.

      Delete