Saturday 11 January 2020

The naughtiest girl in the school (Singapore)



I mentioned to Wilson Tan (schoolmate in the Arts stream at Raffles Institution [RI]) Siva’s nickname for me (in blog Reputations live on forever).  He asked me what I’d done to Siva to warrant such a sobriquet.  I said I didn’t remember doing anything TO Siva, whose nickname for me, I do remember, was Twinkle Toes as I was (and still am) very clumsy.

I told Wilson the only thing I could think of was what I did do to James Shi's name.  

Each day, two students’ names would go up on the blackboard for classroom cleaning duties.  When James’s name was up, I’d go and draw three horizontal lines extending right from the vertical of the last letter in SHI, making him James SHE.

Coming away from that conversation with Wilson, three more memories have now surfaced.

One of the boys in my class is called Wee Bin, with the nickname of Vim (given by his family, I think).  There was a TV advert at the time for a scouring powder under the brand name of Vim.  The jingle was sung in English and Cantonese to the same tune.  The English version goes:

All cleaning jobs are easy easy easy
All cleaning jobs are easy easy easy
All cleaning jobs are easy — with VIM!

I’d sing it to poor Wee Bin each time I saw him.

One day, I witnessed him throwing a piece of scrunched-up paper into the waste paper basket, so I went, “From one Bin to another!”  Poor boy.

There was another boy in my class, Boo Tat, whom we’d affectionately call Boo Boo.  At the time, there was a pop song called Me and You and a dog named Boo (1971 single debut by Lobo), so I’d sing it to Boo Tat whenever I saw him.

I’m now beginning to understand how I got that nickname…

(Singapore, 1971–1972)

No comments:

Post a Comment