Friday 15 March 2019

How to expedite matters: 2 (London)



My pub branch tends to get very busy on Saturdays (my shift day), so customers who can’t find a table sometimes stand in front of the two kitchen swing doors (one IN and one OUT).  This makes it difficult for us staff, carrying laden and hot plates of food and finding our way blocked by crowds of people immersed in chatting, totally unaware of everything else around them.  

I took to saying, as I went past them to enter the kitchen, “HOT food coming out of that door!  Watch out!”

One day, I found that one particular group of customers didn’t pay much attention to my exhortations, and kept re-grouping outside the kitchen doors once we’d gone on our way.

So, I changed my message, “HOT food AND KNIVES coming out of that door!  Watch out!”

It worked.

(London, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment