Friday 15 February 2019

It’s the principle of it, not the money (London)



It always gets my goat, and I begrudge them even one penny, if I think someone is out to cheat me, or if they try to imply by their demeanour that I am being mean or petty.  One must certainly not encourage such outrageous behaviour from a restaurant or shop, because you’re supporting their business, after all, with your patronage.

A few years ago, I was waiting at a bus stop in my neighbourhood when I spotted a new Chinese supermarket next to it.  Went in to check it out, as it’d be good to try and buy local.  Got a packet of Malaysian-produced groundnuts, with a marked up price of 99p.  Paid with a pound coin, but the shop assistant didn’t make a move to get the change.  Said to her, “I thought it says 99p on the shelf?”  She said with a sneer, “It’s only one penny[’s change].”  I gave the packet back to her, asked for my money back, and never went there again.  A few months later, I saw that they’d closed down, and thought with Schadenfreude glee, “Ha!  Serves you right.”

There’s a shop on Harrow Road selling Oriental and Filipino food (rice, noodles, sauces, snacks), run by Pakistanis.  They are always polite and friendly, and I try to shop there whenever I’m in the neighbourhood, although it's a long way to lug all the stuff home.

One day, I was looking at some (uncooked) poppadums on the shelf.  One of the staff walking past, a Pakistani young man, said to me, pointing at the top packet, “These are broken.  Take a fresh packet.”  Because of his attitude, I deliberately picked up the packet of broken poppadums, thanked him warmly, and said, “It’s OK, I don’t mind.  You need to sell them or you’ll lose money.”

(London, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment