Thursday 27 December 2018

What pub customers say: 2 (London)

I was asked to help out on a Wednesday closing shift.  As it was mid-week, we didn't have the doormen, so it was my job as the closing-shift staff to tell the customers when it was time for them to drink up and leave.

I went for the short version.  Instead of saying, "You have ten minutes to drink up and leave," I just went around saying, "You have ten minutes," as it'd be understood in general.


One of the tables had three Spanish customers in their thirties: two women and a bloke.


The man responded with a big cheeky smile, "YES PLEASE!"  From his facial expression, I didn’t get the impression he had in mind "ten minutes for drinking".


When we made eye contact, I knew I was right.  We both burst out laughing.


(London, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment