Thursday 4 March 2021

Spontaneous fun with words: 06 (London/Paris)

Just done a lesson with my student Hélène in Paris.

One of the sentences for translating into Chinese is a doctor telling the patient his heart and blood pressure are normal.

The Chinese word for “heart” is xīn.  

If it refers to “heart” the organ, one has to add the generic zàng / “internal organ”: 心脏 xīnzàng / “heart internal-organ”.  

This is because it is also used in an abstract way.  For example, 

  1. to think a thought to oneself (not articulated aloud), one says: 我心里想 wǒ xīn lǐ xiǎng / “I heart inside think” = I inside my heart think;
  2. one says a kind-hearted person is 好心 hǎo xīn / “good heart”.

After I’d explained all this to my student, she said, without even realising she was doing a pun, “I’ll have to go and learn it by heart.”  Inspired word play!


(London/Paris, 2021)

No comments:

Post a Comment